Thursday, April 1, 2010

Southern Hospitality

For someone who's lived in the South all of his life and has not really ventured that far north it's kind of hard to discern exactly what "Southern Hospitality" really is, just because I can't really compare it to how people in other parts of the world act. So I was looking around on some websites for what southern hospitality exactly is and the website I found I think sums it up quite accurately and is pretty humorous. The website sums up the website as southern people being overly-friendly who will wave and smile at any person passing by. Generally in all mannerisms southerners act friendly and are capable of being chummy with people they hardly know. However I think this website also left out a huge aspect of what southern hospitality is. A huge part of southern hospitality is being able to offer up your home and all of its amenities to the full disposal of a guest. the phrase "Make yourself at home" was probably born from southern hospitality. I know for sure any guest of mine in my mother's home the first thing she always says to them is "The bathroom's there, the fridge is there, and the pantry is there. Make yourself at home and help yourself to whatever you like." From my own experience of growing up in the south I believe southern hospitality does indeed exist and is a dominating part of southern culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment