Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Real Final Post - Southern Plantation


Like Blake I will also write about a topic of my own choosing this week. I would like to expand on an earlier topic I introduced about finding the South because I think I may have actually seen it for the first time. This past weekend I visited Jekyll Island and saw some pretty cool things one of which I found particularly surprising. While on the island I saw an actual Southern plantation from the 1700s and it was nothing like I would have imagined. I had always imagined enormous and gorgeous homes when I thought of Southern plantations, but this one was seemed to be about the size of my dorm room and even more modest. I think that this is an excellent example of the actual South not lining up with the stereotypes and archetypes we have in our heads (especially as a non-Southerner). It is also an example of how diverse the South is. While I would bet that there are many plantations that are like the ones shown in Gone With the Wind, I also know that there are much more modest homes and not all plantations are the same everywhere in the South.


No comments:

Post a Comment