My favorite blog posts so far were all of the one's in response to the topic I created about finding a YouTube video of a southern stereotype and writing about it. The reason's these were my favorite because I wanted to get a general idea of what other people thought was truly stereotypical of the South. And as I expected almost everyone showed a stereotype that depicted southerners in a negative way. Rahul's video depicted southerners as racist, ignorant drunks. Kirsten's video showed a couple of southern kids performing and undoubtedly stupid stunt. Phillip's video however highlights a distinction between two different types of southerners. There are the two fast talking heavily accented southerners which you cant understand a word of what they're saying, a negative representation of southerners, and then two southerners who speak in a manner that anyone could understand. My point in this was trying to figure out why southerners are depicted to be so ignorant, racist, constantly drunk, and speak in a way undiscernable to any non-southern. I myself am southern yet display none of these stereotypes. I think the main thing to realize is there are many different classes that encompass the realm of "being southern." The one that is generally stereotyped negatively to depict all southerners is what me and my friends back home used to derogatorily refer to as "dirt kids." These depictions and stereotypes should not be applied to all southerners.
There is a distinction between class in the South. We aren't all the ignorant, belligerent drunks that we have somehow been stereotyped to be.

VS
No comments:
Post a Comment