Sunday, April 11, 2010
Response to Southern Hospitality
Southern Hospitality is a term we hear quite commonly but what exactly does it mean? As stated in Wikipedia, “Southern Hospitality is a phrase used in American English to describe the generalization that residents of the Southern United States are particularly warm and welcoming to visitors to their homes, or to the South in general.” As I have mentioned in some of my previous blogs, I have lived in suburban Atlanta most of my life and I have seen this aforementioned Southern Hospitality in my daily life. When I first moved into my house, my neighbors invited us over for dinner within two weeks. Southern Hospitality is also apparent when our neighborhood has annual pool parties at the swimming pool. The residents are very friendly and are always ready to strike up a conversation. I believe that the South’s distinct food also plays a role in Southern Hospitality. Barbeques are social events where everyone is friendly with each other and if you happen to be a guest, you witness the comfort and hospitality of Southerners. In cities like New York and Los Angeles, everything is much busier so there isn’t as much time to make small talk or to have conversations with others. Before the Civil War, wealthy Southerners were known for their lifestyle of proper ladies and good mannered gentle men. This way of living has continued to be emulated even in today’s society where you hear Southerners say statements like thank-you, your welcome, bless you, etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment