Thursday, February 4, 2010

Stone Mountain

The most “southern place” that I have visited is Stone Mountain, Georgia. I have actually visited Stone Mountain numerous times and whenever we have out of state visitors, we usually take them there. My experiences at Stone Mountain have been fun. I enjoy many of the activities such as riding the sky lift to the top, climbing on the top of the mountain, riding the train, and watching the laser light shows at night. My favorite visit to Stone Mountain was on the 4th of July. Because it was Independence Day, the place was more festive and the laser light show included lots of fireworks.

Even though Stone Mountain is now modern looking and makes good use of technology, there are many reasons why I feel it is the most southern place I have visited. The first southern characteristic of Stone Mountain is that of the Confederate Memorial Carving. The carving is of General Robert E. Lee, President Jefferson Davis, and Thomas J. Jackson, three Confederate leaders of the Civil War. The carving is one of the main features of Stone Mountain and every time you visit it, you are reminded of these past Civil War heroes. Stone Mountain also reminds people of the South’s ugly past. The infamous KKK used to hold rallies at Stone Mountain. Stone Mountain reminds us that the south is a much better and much more accepting place today than it was in the past. Another reason why Stone Mountain is the most southern place I have visited is because of the restaurants there. The restaurants there mostly serve fried southern food. My favorite restaurant was Miss Katie’s Sideboard Restaurant, a classic southern sounding name for a southern restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment