When I think about vehicles in the south, I think about pickup trucks. More specifically, I think of the Chevrolet Silverado. The Chevrolet Silverado is a full-size pickup truck from General Motors. Ever since I was a little kid living in Atlanta, I have watched numerous Silverado commercials that clearly associate the Silverado with the South. Many of the Silverado commercials include the song “This is our Country”. This song is in the country music genre which is a form of music that is commonly associated with the South. Many of the testimonies in the Chevy music commercials are by southerners with their cowboy hats and their southern accents. So these advertisements help associate their truck with the South. The Chevy Silverado also includes a commercial with popular, retired football player, Howie Long. Living in Atlanta, I know how popular of a sport football is in the South and Howie Long being in the Silverado commercials strengthens the fact that the Chevy Silverado is a southern vehicle.
So why is the pickup truck so famous in the South? A reason for this maybe because the pickup truck symbolizes masculinity, a character trait that is valued highly in the American South. A pickup truck is considered to be a man’s vehicle, which means the vehicle is physically strong. Another one of the Silverado’s commercials is “Like a Rock”. In this commercial, the Chevy Silverado is depicted as being very tough, which would appeal to the Southern ideal of being masculine. Pickup trucks are also associated with hunting. Hunting is a popular American pastime, especially in the South so this could be another reason why we relate the truck with the South.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment