
When I think of Southern transport the first thing that comes to mind is definitely the stereotypical pickup truck. Usually I think of the red, perhaps beat up bedded truck, but something like this second photograph does not surprise me either. Also important are the bumper stickers on the back. In the second photo there are stickers honoring NASCAR drivers, proclaiming “Rebel,” one mock North Carolina Terrorist Hunting Permit, and even a surprising Obama sticker. The attitude given off by the driver of this second truck from this article is also strictly Southern. He could not care less if someone had a problem with either the Confederate flag or Obama sticker attached to his truck.
The image of the pickup truck I see when thinking about the South is mostly the image I relate with rednecks. I have never given much thought to what types of transportation the other general Southern stereotypes I think of would drive. I suppose it would not surprise me that the rural south might drive tractors or the upper to upper-middle class might drive cars like everybody else I know.
However, trucks and truckers is a fairly large indication that we are dealing with the South. For example, the very Southern band, Drive-By Truckers with the Album title "The Dirty South," associates trucking with the South.
No comments:
Post a Comment