Trying to decide on the most Southern place I have ever been to is extremely difficult. This is not because I simply cannot decide, but because I have never been to any place that I feel could be considered truly Southern.
Growing up in Clearwater, Florida the phrase that goes around is “So south, we’re north,” and I agree. I have never really experienced any of the Southern-type things that we have discussed in class. All of my family is from the north, Canada even. All of my friends, too, are either Northern or not American.
Often I do visit family in North Carolina. However, we visit Cary (with the backronym "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.") The only “Southern” places I know of are from television and movies. I do not know whether I am deprived. Since coming to Atlanta I have thought of maybe one day visiting Stone Mountain, but I cannot say that I really do care.
On the other hand my roommate has often expressed with some contempt some differences she has noticed here in Atlanta from her home town in Massachusetts. I'll often hear her say something such as "Well, we are in the South." I usually agree with her, but I don't really notice as much as she does. I guess I live in this weird place in between the North and the South despite its geographically very Southern location.
No comments:
Post a Comment