I don't believe trucks are the main mode of transport in the south and I think it would be incredibly wrong to say so. Trucks do have a lot of functionality in rural parts of the country or for transporting/towing heavy stuff like four-wheelers and boats. However trucks are used all over the country for their functionality so its wrong to associate trucks with the South. However oddly enough its not so wrong to associate southern people with trucks. Almost every "southern" boy wants one thing when they turn 16: a pick-up truck.
-Blake Bauer
Blake--I'm not sure I follow your argument. Could you clarify? Are trucks part of a southern culture or not? I think you're on the tip of an important idea: there's nothing about the work of most southerners that would necessitate a truck, but driving a truck seems to be a part of many notions of what it means to be a southern man. Why do think this might be?
ReplyDelete