View Larger Map
Being a foreigner I most likely have a very different view of what constitutes the South… The Old South and The New South. Sometimes it may seem that the south is just modern day sprawl with delicious but unhealthy cooking, drinking, trucking, hunting and holding on to some old traditions of old. This is not to say that holding on to the past is a bad thing but is strange to see the mix. The most southern place I think I have ever visited is the Texas panhandle. I was fortunate to stay in the first and only remaining ranch house in Pampa. This was quite amazing to experience the history first hand. I stayed in the house of the renowned civic leader in Pampa, who may have made the single largest contribution to its development. The sheer heat and lack of moisture let me know where I was. It was strange though because although this was an ancient town, the Taco Bells and Mickey D's that lined the streets were misleading. It was quite an experience though once we drove out of the town for a few minutes. I was able to see an older Texas, miles of empty farmland. We drove all the way to a magnificent canyon where I saw the play ’Texas’ which seemed to really capture the hardships and ideals of the Old South.

I think my favorite and most identifiable artifact for the trip was the billboard for the 72 ounce steak: “if you can eat all of it its free!”
No comments:
Post a Comment