I have very little experience with the South; I have never really seen Southern people and culture first hand to know whether or not the stereotypes I have in my head are actually true. This YouTube clip that I have shows a pair of boys doing stupid “stunts.” The one boy wears a Stars and Bars cap and refers to him and his friend as “The Southern Hicks.” Both boys have pretty thick accents. The nature of this clip, however, is not really a portrayal or a parody, but real boys acting like real people.
One of the general southern stereotypes I think of is the stupid, reckless redneck and their stunts. This video seems to confirm that stereotype. However, I am not sure if these boys are acting stupid because they are southern hicks, or because they are young boys. I believe that the preconceived ideas I have in my head make me unconsciously attribute their immaturity to being a Southern redneck rather than the more likely reason that they are simply boys. I think this is often the case. I notice instances where Southerners fulfill my expectations and ignore when they are not like the general stereotypes I have come to know due to popular culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment