Where is the South? I think this question could be answered in two ways. There's your textbook geographical answer of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, North and South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas. Basically most states below the Mason Dixie line. However the answer I think you're looking for is more where are the stereotypical places that really exemplify the south like in the literature we've been reading.
First I'll address what I think about Maryland and Florida, two southern states you mentioned that don't seem southern at all. I've been to many cities in Florida and have been there multiple times, being it only a 30 minute drive from my home. As for Maryland I've been there once, I went to Ocean City, Maryland. From what I've seen I completely agree with you when you say they don't seem southern. However all the locations I've visited in these two states were primarily large cities like Jacksonville, Tampa, Ocean City, etc. From what I've seen really larges cities lose a lot of their, I guess, "southern identity." Take Atlanta for example, overall it doesn't seem very southern regardless of the fact that it is the capital of one of the most "southern" states.
From my general experience the small towns are the ones that seem more southern. I have family in several small towns through out Georgia and they are by far the most southern places I've ever been. I've got a Aunt in Tifton, Georgia, a Grandmother in Moultrie, Georgia, and a brother in Valdosta, Georgia. They are all roughly 3 hours south of here. I would say if you want to experience "The South" these would be prime places to do so. From the dining to the people its rather hard to visit one of those cities and still say you've never been anywhere "southern."
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment