Tuesday, March 2, 2010

For this week

For this week I would like for the group to look at not only southern traditions such as hunting and recreational boating, but I would like for you to take this to the next level in looking at any traditions that you had when growing up and if you could term them as southern or not.

For an example in my household, we purchased a boat after my grandfather sold his from New York. I immediately associated boating with the sort of wild life and events that occur in the south. Additionally, we would go fishing and collect oysters with the boat, these traditions and changes were part of who I was when I was growing up and were in my minds view traditionally southern or at least had southern origins.

Going on long, offshore fishing trips has highlighted my childhood. These trips on boats 30ft or longer would leave at around 5am. I always remember that I am traditionally the one to wake up at 4am to get everything ready. I couldn't wake up for school at 7:30am, but those times we went fishing early in the morning I just woke up early. Since we usually went with a friend that had an older boat, it would take us 3 -4 hours to reach the fishing spot, whereas it took newer boats only about 2 hours and they would wake up later. We also had to leave the fishing grounds early to get home before the sun began to set. Even with radar and GPS the harbor mouth of Charleston is marked by the Jetties that provide a calm harbor, but also provide an obstacle that can sink ships. The Jetties are pictured bellow.
Click here to see the harbor enterance

No comments:

Post a Comment